[Automator] import photos into iphoto action hanging

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Wed May 11 13:01:58 PDT 2005

Good afternoon, all.  I'm trying to put together a workflow to copy
images off a compact flash card (via a card reader) into a local
directory, and then import those images into iPhoto.  When I add the
"Import Photos into iPhoto" action to my workflow (even when it's the
only action) Automator does the spinning beachball thing, and doesn't
come back.  At least, it doesn't come back in any reasonable amount
of time.  I've got 3-4 thousand images in my iPhoto library, as I
recall.  When I do the same steps on my powerbook with only 2 images
in the library, it comes back, but slowly.

I know this has been reported as a bug with Apple, but I'm wondering
if anyone's found a work-around?  I'm thinking this fairly simple
action can be performed via applescript, so I could probably cobble
that together without too much work, but I was hoping for a less
drastic work-around.

Thanks,

    __   ____
   / /  / __/ Brian Lalor