[Automator] an Example

demrcows rc5cows at itswhat.com
Tue Oct 18 17:35:33 PDT 2005

>Same here. I don't even know where to start with this thing. Some
>examples of things to do with it would be helpful. Someone out there
>must know!!
>---
>James Paul Manley
>jpmanley at gmail.com

hi All

I use a workflow available via contextual menu to replace the cookie
file in iCab with an edited version containing only my desired
cookies.
iCab must not be running, so I had to use an Applescript to quit it
before proceeding (the beep was just for grins.)

I'll describe my workflow in Automator
1) from the Library/Automator choose: "Run Applescript"
and insert:
tell application "Finder"
	if process "iCab" exists then
		beep
		quit application "iCab"
	end if
end tell

2) from the Library/Automator choose: "Pause"
Placed it there assuming iCab might need a second or so to complete
its quit procedures.
Am uncertain if it's needed.

3) from Library/Finder choose: "Get Specified Finder Items"
select the saved cookies file

4) from Library/Finder choose: "Copy Finder Items"
set this: To: iCab preferences Folder, and set to "Replacing existing Files"

5) from Library/Finder choose: "Launch Application"
relaunch iCab

Note: After 6 or seven attempts to get this to flow, I found step 4
had to be placed in the step 3 position while navigating to the
proper folder or it would copy the Desktop Folder rather than my
chosen Cookies file. After setting the destination Folder in this
step I then inserted "Get Specified Finder Items" into the #3
position and all was well. Bug? I don't know. All i can say is it
simply would not play the same if assembled the first time in its
final order.

Tips/hints, different approach?

Hope this helps someone

-- --