seminar enrollment accounts software

Steve Kane skane at skaneco.com
Wed Jul 2 15:16:33 PDT 2003

Oh heck. There is a good chance I'm going to be responsible for
tracking enrollments and payments and accounting for a small company
that will be giving seminars.

This is a startup company with no preexisting system.

I imagine there will be discounts of various kinds, prepayments,
package deals, cancellation fees based on the number of days before the
event, installment payments, refunds, etc, etc. etc. (Not to mention
the possibility of enrolling or, good grief, paying via a web page).

I have used a programmable database program called Panorama for many
years, but I can't imagine rolling my own solution in Panorama. This is
way over my head. I couldn't flow chart it; I can barely articulate it.
I use Panorama and Quicken and about 6 feet of file cabinets to manage
a few rental properties, but there would be much higher volume and a
crucial need for automation and tracking for this seminar business.

This will at first and for quite some time be a _small_ company with a
_limited budget_ (two partners, PhDs, one is my wife, intending to
diversify their careers). At first, I could probably manage the whole
thing on a napkin, but it will _grow_ and it would sure be nice if it
is well organized from the start.

Anybody know of an application designed or adaptable for this? I use a
Mac PowerBook running Mac OS X, but I'd use a pc application if that's
what got the job done.

(I wish I listened to my mother and majored in Business instead of
English Lit).

TIA