HD upgrades

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Thu Dec 31 23:32:25 PST 1903

I just finished researching HD's for my Cube, and went with the
Barracuda V 120GB w/2mb cache. The Maxtor or IBM w/8mb cache will be
faster for LARGE files (large movie or image files) because of the
large cache, but the Seagate will outperform with normal small files,
etc. The Seagate is a bit quieter, and about 2-4 degrees hotter than
the Maxtor (which seems like no big deal, especially with a fan in
the Cube). Any ATA 66,100 or 133 drive will work with the Cube up to
120GB, but the performance diff between the ATA 100 & 133 drives will
not be realized in our 100Mhz bus machines and ATA 66 bus. Serial ATA
is NOT compatible with our machines.

I cannot yet find any of the Barracuda 120GB ATA 8mb cache drives
anywhere, and my guess is that, when (and if) released they will be
significatly more expensive for a while. The Barracuda I just bought
cost me $130 on eBay (new, pulled from a custom system), but I have
spotted them online for around $200. For the large video and audio
files I work with I use external ATA drives, including the Maxtor
and/or Western Digitals with the 8mb cache, in a pullout Firewire
case (and I will be getting some of the Seagate Barracuda V's with
the 8mb cache as they become available).

BTW, my problems with my Cube (burning out the DC board trying to tap
into the 5volt supply for the fan) continue - the DC board alone does
not solve the problem, and it is currently being diagnosed by
professionals. I may be needing a logic board, and will check back
with this list if this is the case (thanks so far for the advice and
help)!

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org