Noise?

James Rice daystar-genesis at charter.net
Sat Dec 7 08:57:36 PST 2002

This may be off topic and I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I am
curious.  What is this obsession with no noise?  Why is fan and drive
noise a problem?  I'm just curious.  I work in a server room with 25-35
very loud servers.  My home office has almost 50 boxes, at least 10-12
up and running at all times.  My home Wintel PC, a dual 2ghz K7 MP has a
total of 11 fans. It howls like a Lear winding up for take off. My
favorite Mac systems aren't Mac's  but are my three Daystar Genesis MP
clones  with 4-5 fans each.  Nothing quiet about them.  I worked in my
previous life at high noise industrial sites.  After working for 6 weeks
next to a pair of tandem 4000hp electrical motors the size of full size
15 passenger van's, a cooling fan is almost inaudible.  Just curious as
I have actually always liked the hum of fans and drives.  Reminds me of
the mechanical/tech nature of my computers.

I don't own a cube yet, but I'm looking for the right one at the right
price.  I do own what I consider to be the G4 cube's ancestors, two NeXT
Dimension cubes.

James (no G4 cube yet, but looking)
--
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html