More About Noise...

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Sun Dec 8 12:14:41 PST 2002

My computer system (Cube, Cinema screen) is integrated into the
center of my life and my home. Besides a Powerbook (which is turned
on only when recording audio or surfing the web from the couch or
bedroom) it is the ONLY computer I have, use and need. I don't have
the advantage (?) of multiple server and computer fans blowing all at
once in my home (and, I suppose, neither does James), so one computer
running in the center of the home with multiple fans would be
noticeable. As I await replacement of my burned-out DC/DC board, I
have mounted my Cube HD in a removable case which contains no less
than 2 extra fans, and am once again reminded of how quiet the Cube
is (was, will be again).

Yes, Apple pushed the fanless design in their marketing, but
honestly, being computer people, my guess is that NONE of us really
understood how peaceful and pleasing this particular design advantage
would be UNTIL we bought a Cube, brought it home and turned it on. My
guess is that it's similar to what I read about electric car owners
who find the absolute quiet of the electric car engine at first
unnerving, and then, as we Cube owners - Cubists? - start to notice
how violent a combustion automobile actually sounds. As James
mentioned is his posting, he does not yet own a Cube, and I new that
from his first sentence. When you do finally acquire one (as low as
$500 on eBay these days!), put it in a separate room from all the
clatter you described, turn it on, and take it in.

Why should we just shut up and accept whatever the engineers, money
managers and marketeers tell us we should take? We should DEMAND
clean cars, real food, good art and quiet, versatile computers that
will add to our lives, not change and/or dominate it (remember,
Microsoft is only really interested in where they want you to go
today). The Cube proves it can be done - the machines failure was due
to the arrogance and pricing policies of Apple, nothing more. And as
I mentioned in my last posting, the Cube proved to be ultimately
successful through evolution - it lives again as the flat-panel iMac.

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org