[CUBE] OT: Remote Access

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Tue Dec 10 08:45:24 PST 2002

On Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002, at 11:37 US/Eastern, Gary Waugh wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 04:09 PM, Eagle wrote:
>> The problem I have always had with VNC is that it does not send
>> command-key sequences.  At least, I have not found a way to do that,
>> which is why I prefer Timbuktu.
>
> Oh - no argument, Timbuktu is better for that very reason, and Apple
> Remote Desktop is better still IMHO, provided you don't need Windows
> compatibility. Can't beat the price of VNC though *grin*

I have no experience with Apple Remote Desktop; perhaps my employer
will buy that someday.

>> Gary (or anyone else), do you know of a way to do this?
>
> Nope - that's a problem. I don't use VNC servers on the Mac very often
> (I tend to use VNC primarily to control a windows box remotely from my
> cube), but haven't found a workaround for that issue...

Oh, VNC works GREAT for controlling Windows boxes.  It's a nice
workaround for remote X11 display too... the only problem with it is
when using it with a Mac server.  You're right about the price though.
:)  If I didn't have access to an extra (legit) Timbuktu license at
work, I would be using VNC too.

Eagle