Chronic sleep/shutdown problems

Selma McCrory smccrory at calweb.com
Tue Dec 10 19:43:53 PST 2002

Hello,

I've been lurking on this list since I got my beloved Cube about two
months ago.

I have a fairly stock 450 mhz cube that has 256 mb of RAM (what it came
with) and an upgraded 60 GB HD.

Now, I love the thing very much, since it's quieter than the Gateway PC
it shares a monitor with. But I've been having a chronic problem with
random shutdowns. I have read the cubeowner.com faq on this, and
Apple's website, but I had to open my cube three times tonight, and am
opening it up about once a week (the rest of the time I'm using the
Gateway). Needless to say, this does not inspire confidence in Apple
with my PC-using friends, especially since the other half of the time
it's randomly disconnecting.

One possibility I have thought of is that I have to push the core down
every time I open the machine up, or it falls to the desk (this is
about when I discovered where the battery was in it). Could this be why
my DC-to-DC board is giving me such problems? Or is there something
else I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,
Selma mcCrory