no power to cube -- logic board?

mike mfoverbo at int287.k12.mn.us
Thu Dec 12 18:36:17 PST 2002

Howdy.

I'm in a little bit of a fix, and I was wondering if I could get some
advice from any of you.  I got a broken cube 500?mhz w/dvd for the low
price of nothing, which didn't include applecare.  I'm a recent osx
desktop convert from freebsd on x86, so I'm not yet comfortable with
mac hardware, much less cube hardware.  an apple-certified tech told me
I needed a new $900 logic board, so I might as well get a new iMac.
Well, if I didn't want a cube, I suppose I'd go and do that.  Here's to
hoping I don't get any advice like that on a cube-centric list. :-)

The cube gets power to the motherboard (green light goes on).  Fancy
Dancy Electrostatic power button does nothing.  apple tech documents
58780 and 88037 have been tried and failed.  Top assembly has been
replaced but to no avail.  My thoughts are that I can replace it for
$650, and get 800mhz speed at that ($300-ish logic board on the net +
$400 800mhz powerlogix cpu upgrade/motherboard, unless I'm confused and
the powerlogix upgrade includes the logic board -- I'm not sure if
logic board and motherboard are different or synonymous), but a second
opinion is much needed before I burn that kind of moolah.

Also, does anyone disagree with the apple tech regarding the logic
board replacement?  Might my problem be the dc/dc converter, even
though it provides the green light?  If so, does anyone know where I
can get a replacement internal dc/dc converter, or about how much they
cost?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mike