[CUBE] Query?.... Case-sensitiveness

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Wed Dec 18 01:27:34 PST 2002

On 2002-12-18 03:33, "cubicle" <athomp2 at mac.com> wrote:

> hmm, well, it seems that my shell accepts both "Man," and "man."  I use bash.
> I think this is bad.

I gree, you should use tcsh, like I do. ;-)

Tcsh accepts man and man, too, but it does not accept MAN, so I doubt it's
actually an HFS issue.

> but i understand the compromise apple made in supporting HFS.  perhaps that's
> the real argument here - when can they dump HFS(+).

I hope they don't, but think they will. Now they've added journaling, HFS+
is easily one of the finest file systems out there, what with the plethora
of metadata it can handle. Too bad Apple chose to dumb down their file
system to comply with other, even dumber file systems (read: FAT and NTFS),
rather than improve on it (make it truly case-sensitive, for instance).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Joost van de Griek