[CUBE] Which large HD?

cubicle athomp2 at mac.com
Thu Dec 19 23:44:17 PST 2002

I like IBM drives.  Quantum used to be my favorite, though.  And for
many years, as a sysadmin dealing with Sun hw, which mostly came with
Seagate SCSI drives, I found them fine too.  Still, for peecees, I
always liked Quantum.  Had great experiences with them.  But I've had
good experiences with IBM in SGI boxes I've managed as well.

My point is that really they all have approx. the same mtbf.  kind of
"motor oil is motor oil" type deal.  they're all very very similar, and
people have their favorites like they have favorite colors.  get a
bunch of sysadmins in the room, say 30 of 'em.  ask the entire group,
individually, which is their fav brand hd manufacturer.  you'll get a
wide variety of answers.

oh, and i've always hated maxtors.  and man, the western digital caviar
drivers were nice.  see what i mean.  whatever.  i don't even pay
attention to it anymore.  big drive, good price, nice cache and good
rpm - sounds great to me.  brand name?  i don't even check anymore.

hope this little rant makes sense.  i've just found it amusing watching
all this kvetching over different brand disks on the list of late.

--alan