[CUBE] The thing to replace HDs

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Fri Dec 20 09:04:28 PST 2002

> The "which hard drive" thread got me thinking, "isn't there some other
> smarter technology around to replace these complex,
> lots-of-moving-parts,
> error-prone things?"

I don't have any links, and am not really updated on the subject, but I
do know there is such a thing as a "solid state HD", where all the
moving parts are replaced by tons of RAM. Only catch is if they lose
power, they lose ALL data.

They are incredibly fast though (and expensive). IBM uses them in
servers....or at least they used to.

There was a company awhile back that was making a PCI card that held
2gb of RAM on it, and would show up on the desktop as a HD...but same
deal, if you lost power, it would be wiped clean, and was expensive as
all get out.

Sorry I don't have links. Maybe search google for "solid state hard
drive"

jesse

.