[CUBE] The thing to replace HDs

riba at hi.hinet.hr riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sat Dec 21 16:48:56 PST 2002

> The "which hard drive" thread got me thinking, "isn't there some other
> smarter technology around to replace these complex, lots-of-moving-parts,
> error-prone things?"
>
> If anyone's updated on the subject, I'd be happy for an URL or just a
> comment.

Definitely. Hards Drives are major bottlenecks today. We need solid state
storage, and it is definitely next thing to come, however, it is still too
expensive per MB to be acceptable. Some day...

I remember in late eighties there was a board for Amiga computers that
contained 32 MB of ram and was marketed as HD replacement (remember, the size
of HD in those days were in sub-40 MB range). It was _fast_. It contained
static memory, that would keep the data when you turn off the computer, and if
you turned it on it will come up instantly. Something like sleep mode today. It
cosed a
_fortune_.

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr