[CUBE] The thing to replace HDs

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Sat Dec 21 08:31:44 PST 2002

We're getting there though - watching the spread of all of the new USB
"keychain" drives that are basically the same thing.  I remember a box
that was marketed as a solid state storage for Macs a while back that
was a large box (a little bigger than a Cube) that was nothing more
than 4 slide out boards covered in SIMM slots that had a SCSI
interface.  We had one on evaluation that absolutely rocked, but we
just couldn't justify the cost.

So does anyone want to hack a board together that could be mounted
inside another Cube case - that would be way cool - two cube cases side
by side with a FW connector one being just stacked full of RAM.

Unfortunately the cost/Gb of RAM vs cheap IDE storage is still an order
of magnitude of difference.

Pricewatch today:
1Gb DIMM PC 133: $104 (which just blows my mind BTW)
80Gb EIDE: $89

$1 vs $100 still hurts a lot...

Erik