Dead Cube saga continues...

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Sun Dec 22 02:35:54 PST 2002

Here's the latest on the Cube that I burned up trying to tap into the
5v supply for a fan:

The DC/DC board had obvious burn damage, as did (2) 512MB RAM Dimms.
After replacing those I was still getting nowhere; an authorized
service center suggested the motherboard was bad, but could not go
any further because the supervisor informed the tech that they did
not repair Cubes - must send to Apple.

I purchased a new motherboard and chassis for $224 from DealExpress,
received today and swapped out everything. I reassembled, installing
a new (blank) Seagate Barracuda V 120GB in the process. I now get the
power to stay on, and I hear the video card fan going, but no CHIMES,
and the CD drive (with an OS 10.2 install CD) fires up for a moment,
then stops.

Nothing else happens, and I am at my wits end. At this point I have
spent $180 for a DC/DC card (with trade, from Small Dog), $240
w/shipping for the motherboard, still have to replace a Gig of RAM,
and I am not back up and running. I MISS MY CUBE w/CINEMA SCREEN
RUNNING, and there is little left to replace on this thing except for
the processor/daughtercard. Any suggestions and/or anyone qualified
enough to look at this thing without spending much more?

Joel Pelletier
Van Nuys, CA

Perhaps I should have just bought another Cube, transferred the hard
drive, and moved on...