[CUBE] Replace Fan on Radeon Video Card?

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Fri Dec 27 11:13:14 PST 2002

>   Is there a step by step procedure on how to replace the fan that came
> stock on the Radeon Video Card? My fan is starting to make noise and
> seems like it is going out. I would like to replace it with a like
> quiet fan or better yet, proper heat sync that keeps it cool enough.
> Any write ups on how and where to get the parts would be great!

My Radeon fan also failed a while ago. I had a hard time finding the
replacement fan of the appropriate size. If you want one, Titan has some that
will suit fine. Check their site www.titan-cd.com.
However, I decided to put a passive heatsink on, and forget the fan. Try to
find heatsinks used on the old original Pentium processors, or some AMD stuff.
A friend who is working in a PC repair shop gave me some, and they are quite
large, but not too thick.
I removed the old heatsink using the freezer/business card method. It came off
without destroying the card :). Then I used the razor blade and paint thinner
to remove the old epoxy glue from the chip. It took a while but eventually I
got it all off.
Used some thermal compound on the chip, and glued the passive heatsink on being
careful about the fin orientation. It has been running fine for almost three
months now - and quiet too!
:)

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr