[CUBE] Best video card update?

Riba riba at hi.hinet.hr
Sun Dec 29 12:51:12 PST 2002

> Got the Mac edition of Links, championship edition for my son only to find
> out that the ATI 128 rage pro video card in my 450 cube is not supported by
> open GL in OS 10.2.3.  ( nor is it supported by ATI).

Hm, this is not true. Even more, here is CC from the 10.2.3 update notes:
"Improves compatibility for OpenGL-based software on some computers that use
ATI Rage 128 graphic accelerator chips; improves reliability for OpenGL-based
software while Screen Saver effects are enabled on some computers that use ATI
Rage 128 graphic accelerator chips."
So not only it is supported, but the 10.2.3 should have improved it. What made
you think it is not supported, any specific error message?

> The program is pretty much useless unless I can upgrade the video card.
> Does anyone know if the geForce 2 MX is better than the ATI rage pro or
> should I try the geForce 3 (I assume with a fan)?

2MX is better than Rage 128, yes. GF3 is even better, but not sure it is worth
the price or the hassle of one more fan.

> Will both of these fit in without modification?

Yes, but GF3 is very hard to find.

> I would like advice from some of the gamers out there.

If you are seriously into gaming, then consider GF3 and processor upgrade.
Otherwise, 2MX will be just fine.

> Lastly, I have not been able to find any of these to be had....

GF3 is very hard to find and is usually expensive. 2MX can be found every now
and then, and ebay is your best
bet.

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr