[CUBE] Silence and speed

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Sun Dec 29 18:46:00 PST 2002

On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 03:37 PM, Germ Steel wrote:

> Booting to OS9 is always disheartening because for UI "snap" it blows
> OS X
> away.  But since I run OS X all the time I don't notice the
> slugishness at

Well, I've run OS X on everything from a G3 233 AIO through a 500MHz
Cube
up to a Power Mac G4 733 and 500DP. While the Finder of OS9
is more 'snappy' by itself, the multi-tasking ability of OS X alone far
out shadows
any sluggishness that the Finder might have, IMO. I don't consider OS X
sluggish at all when running my normal set of applications. OS9, OTOH,
will get me quickly frustrated...

> all. My question: how come OSX on a 450/G4 feels about as fast as
> NextStep
> 3.3 on a 68040/33Mhz ?

To be fair, there's a lot more going on in OS X (both behind the scenes
and
in the resource hungry UI).

John