Apple replacement GF2-card with SMALL heatsink!

Steffen Barabasch TheMirror at westend.com
Tue Nov 26 14:06:24 PST 2002

Hi there,

I just got my Cube back from a local Apple Service Provider (it's
still covered by AppleCare), with a new CDRW-drive and a new graphics
card. Of course I immediately pulled the core out and found what I
somehow expected: A small-heatsink, tower-style GeForce2 instead of
the one with the huge heatsink that we all know.

It can't be simply a mistake from the service station, like
accidentally putting a tower card in there, since the frontplate is
totally different between tower and Cube cards. SInce it has the Cube
faceplate it has to be a genuine Apple replacement part.

So it seems like Apple is endorsing GF2 cards with small heatsinks
lately... which makes me wonder:

Is it ok to run it with a small heatsink all of a sudden? Was the big
heatsink unneccessary or even *bad*? (My card died even though it
*had* the big heatsink) Would be great to know for all of you who
managed to grab a tower OEM card somewhere.

Or did they simply f*** up, like with the apparently misconfigured
small-heatsink-Radeon Cube upgrade cards, and *should* there still be
a big heatsink?

Or do they simply don't have any big heatsink cards left and don't
care if it melts my Cube and/or itself?

I'll talk to the service guy on Thursday, and if I don't get a good
answer to my questions (like how he managed to scratch the metal
cover on the CD-drive side of the core. Looks as if he put it on the
street and kicked it around a bit before swapping the drive ...) I'll
start getting on some people's tits really badly... My file at the
Apple customer relations department has a red warning sticker anyway
("Attention, picky as hell"), so I've got nothing to lose ;-)

Steffen
--
Steffen Barabasch (mailto:TheMirror at westend.com)