[CUBE] Apple replacement GF2-card with SMALL heatsink!

Sergei Zak mancubus at macbox.ru
Wed Nov 27 00:52:01 PST 2002

Steffen Barabasch was saying:

> Is it ok to run it with a small heatsink all of a sudden? Was the big
> heatsink unneccessary or even *bad*? (My card died even though it
> *had* the big heatsink) Would be great to know for all of you who
> managed to grab a tower OEM card somewhere.

There are different revisions of the card itself (and the nVidia chip on
it). Newer revisions generate less heat because of the thinner process
(.13nm, I believe). Card revision 161 (firmware not less 1055) is safe to
run in Cube as-is for prolonged time.
Would you please tell us what's the orientation of the heatsink fins on the
card you got? Is it in line with the Cube's convection system? If not, then
Apple is using 'unisex' cards, and my advice - do not mess with the
heatsink, the glue is tough as hell there. I almost screwed my card trying
to replace the heatsink with my own design.