Minimal speed boost from Radeon 7500 upgrade

Joakim Skog joakim.skog at home.se
Sat Apr 12 05:31:06 PDT 2003

I finally installed my Radeon 7500 which has been laying around for
quite some time now. To measure the difference in speed I benchmarked
my cube with XBench befor and after the upgrade.

Before the upgrade, my 450 Mhz 1,2 Gb Ram 120 Gb Barracuda V with 8
mb cache, ATI RagePro 128 running OS X 10.2.5 got an overall of 54.04
with 59,72 on the Quartz test and 69.98 on the OpenGL test.

After the upgrade my overall result was slightly DOWN to 53.95 and
with the Quartz test up 6 points (10%) to 65.67 and the OpenGL test
DOWN almost 10 points (14 %).

Isn't this a little bit strange? The user interface a little bit more
responsive, but it's really hard to tell any difference at all.

I'm going to reinstall the RagePro 128 to make some other tests, but
it feels like upgrading your video card is less important compared
with getting a fast hard disk for example.

/Joakim