[CUBE] W O W ! ! !

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Sat Apr 12 21:06:46 PDT 2003

Alan wrote:
> I agree with what you say about the quality of FM transmission in
> theory, but in reality, I drive an '87 bimmer (e30 325), and have a
> completely 1987 stock system in it.

That makes a difference.  Mine is a 2002 MB CLK430 Cabriolet, so it has
a Bose system in it.  Makes a huge difference (I love that the Aux jack
is in the glove compartment).

> Tell me more about it, and how well it works, what frequency range it
> works for, and can you actually set a specific frequency rather than
> having to turn a knob to approximate one.

Well, it seems to work okay, other than the sound quality issue - but
that turned me off within a few minutes of starting to play with it.
And alas, no - you can set any FM frequency, but it's done through
selecting a range with a switch and specifying with a knob until the
sound quality is best.

If I understand the electronics correctly (I researched and home-built
an FM transmitter kit once but again gave up on the sound quality
issues) it's much, much cheaper to make an analog transmission tuner
than it is to make a digital one.  But I am very much not an EE, I'm
just an audiophile.

	-- Todd