[CUBE] what scanner? what digi camera, what printer

David Flory daflory at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 13 10:24:41 PDT 2003

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 09:28  AM, abillups at mac.com wrote:

> I can second the opinion of Canon scanners and printers. Two years ago
> we got tired of the expensive Epson replacement cartridges at our
> school and after research, went for Canon. They have individual
> replacement cartridges, and they can be refilled. The individual tanks
> are about half the cost of the Epson ones.

This part is good. The part that we have a Canon BJC 6000 printer that
works great, but Canon still hasn't given us a driver for OS X is
really, really bad!! Canon cameras are good, so are Sony, Fuji, Nikon,
Minolta etc. The key to being happy with your digital camera choice is
to think about what kind of pictures you take (and will take.) I try to
take pictures of animals, particularly whales, dolphins and other
marine stuff.

The key to a _great_ picture is getting the exact moment you wanted.
Most digital cameras have a second or so lag between the time you press
the shutter and the time the picture is actually taken. This due to
focussing and measuring light intensity and setting the diaphragm and
shutter speed. What it means is that instead of getting the great shot
of the flukes of the whale lifted up in the air you get a great shot of
swirling water after the whale has disappeared. One way to get around
this delay is to press the shutter button halfway, and hold it there,
which gets the camera to measure exposure and focus, and then when the
moment comes you press the button the rest of the way and take the
picture.

The one I am lusting after right now is the Minolta Dimage 7hi. This
one has a seven X optical zoom and a 5 megapixel image, which gives you
good ability to get right up close in your final image. It will also
take 7 images at a rate of 3 per second which gives you a great chance
to get just the right one that your want. Best price is pretty high,
around $1k, but there are a couple of highly rated internet vendors
with it at that price.

A good feature is use of AA batteries instead of proprietary special
battery packs. The best AA's I've found are 2100 mah capacity, nickel
metal anhydride type. Another tip that can save hundreds, get your
compact memory from a place like Crucial.com. That's where I get all my
computer and photo memory media. They aren't the cheapest but I've
never heard anyone with a complaint about them. One of the places that
has the Minolta at a really good price wants 4 times what Crucial
charges for a 512M Compact memory card. That's right, no typo 4 times
as much!!

Caveat Emptor, do your research!
-
Check out the marine mammals @