[CUBE] what scanner? what digi camera, what printer

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Sun Apr 13 16:24:51 PDT 2003

On Saturday, Apr 12, 2003, at 23:15 US/Eastern, Lacorona at aol.com wrote:
> You guys are always helpful...I hope you can help me agani...
> Does anyone here who works with photography or images have a dream
> team idea
> of printer, scanner and digi camera that I can buy at COMPUSA or
> through
> Apple catologs, or other apple supplier? For not a billion dollars,
> but not
> cheapo-doesn't-look-good price either. I guess, best qulaity for
> reasonable
> money.

I bought a 2 megapixel Canon PowerShot A60 two weeks ago -- my first
digital camera.  The A60 costs around $250 so it's not too expensive
but not too cheap either.  I have been completely impressed with the
pictures I have taken so far -- feel free to take a look at
http://homepage.mac.com/eagle243/digicam/ - and keep checking because
I'll be adding more pics that I want to publish.  In 2 weeks I have
taken well over 150 pictures, probably near 200.  If 2 megapixel isn't
enough for you, Canon makes a $350-$400 3 megapixel version of the
camera, the A70.

I bought the A60 because it can take additional lenses with an adapter,
and because it has manual shutter, aperture, and focus modes, and
because it has a continuous drive settings in which takes up to six
frames @ 2.6 frames per second.  I wanted a camera whose pictures I
could print, but I didn't want to spend piles of money to be able to
print greater than 8x10, as I will likely never do that.

> WOuld like a good, fast can-do sharp coilor camera,  (can you take b
> and w
> photos with a digi camera?)

I'm not sure about the B&W question but you can convert a color image
to black and white with iPhoto or Photoshop.  A friend of mine has had
great success doing that; his 3-year-old daughter is model-beautiful,
and that's obvious in the pics he has converted to B&W.

> a fast color printer with good dpi, and

I was looking into printers recently, and I'll probably replace my HP
with a Canon 850 or greater, next time my ink cartridges need to be
replaced.

> a fast scanner color dpi high, with slide, neg scanner--,
> but also need  a sheet feeder for scanner as I do a lot of scanning of
> text
> with omnipage pro.

I have a Canon LiDE 30 and have been impressed with it, but it probably
won't fit your needs.

Good luck!

Eagle