[CUBE] Help me......I'm desperate

John Guy john.guy at btclick.com
Mon Apr 14 09:51:18 PDT 2003

On 14/4/03 5:40 pm, "Lacy Kyle" <lacy_kyle at mac.com> wrote:

> Please, please help. I have a bog standard 450 cube except for 448M
> ram. I have finally took the plunge and upgraded to OSX 10.2. My
> machine now locks up after about 5 to 10 minutes use. Can't seem to
> detect any pattern in it, it does it with all sorts of applications and
> makes no difference whether or not I'm connected to the net or not./
> Most of the time it just freezes and will not respond to anything,
> other times (but much less frequent, I get that pretty coloured beach
> ball thing......but still no response to anything, not even force
> quit.....Please forgive any typo's, I'm trying to get this mail sent
> before the damn thing locks again!!!!!

I had the same problem with an early install of OSX, the only thing that
cured it for  me was complete re-install.

Because the core OS is based on UNIX it "should" be Very stable, what you
are experiencing is not what one would tend to expect.

Other things to rule out first:
Remove all other peripherals so you just have a stand alone system, i.e.
cube screen keyboard mouse etc
Try a restart now
If you are still having problems examine the following:

Intermittent fault with the logic board/dc supply
Hard disk file corruption, especially taking note of the various file trees,
if they are screwed, files just start disappearing never to be seen again.

Although personally I would tend to think you have had a corruption in the
install process.

Another option, if you have "upgraded" from os9.x to OSX then when you
reboot hold down the option key this should give you the option to boot into
either OS

See how you get on with that lot first.

John Guy