[CUBE] the desperate plea thing.

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Tue Apr 15 22:43:44 PDT 2003

Lacy Kyle wrote:
> The first, I am sure, of many basic OSX mistakes I will make!!

Don't try too hard to make OSX behave like or be laid out like OS9.
It's a different animal.  Try and accept it for what it is.

> I am still trying to get my head round files apparently scattered all
> over the place. I'm sure OS9 wasn't really any easier but somehow,
> Applications, Documents, Extensions and Control Panels in 9 (and
> earlier) seemed so much easier to understand. Whatever happened to the
> computer for the rest of us!! Time to sign up to an OSX group I
> suppose.....any recommendations as to the best one? (Particularly for
> simpleton newbies like me!!)

There are really only two directories (folders) you need to concern
yourself with (at least for a while until you are ready to really dig
under the hood) and those are the /Applications folder and your own
personal home folder under /Users.

Install any new applications in /Applications folder and keep
your personal files in the various folders in your Home folder
(Pictures, Music, Documents, etc).

It's really just that simple.
--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator