[CUBE] Offering email addresses to spammers as a policy

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at cybermesa.com
Mon Apr 21 13:22:57 PDT 2003

Entity Alan Thompson spoke thus:

> Hey Rachel, who exactly is the intended recipient of this email?
This list's subscribers should be aware of the long-term result of
subscribing to the list, that their e-mail privacy is compromised by the
server.

> I'm guessing that you're complaining about the existence of the web
> archive of this lists postings over time, and the subsequent inclusion
> of the email headers, which include email addresses.
Exactly, in you case, I see your email address is accessible to spammers in
this search:
<http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=athomp2@mac.com&FORM=SMCRT>

> To be blunt, I would recommend that you stop ranting to the list
> members, who are powerless to change this "feature," and direct your
> complaint to the list owner, who, apparently, does not actually
> subscribe to this list himself.
Seems like this "archiving" didn't start until late last year. Any real
database-driven archive would be inaccessible to spambots, but this Cube
archive is plain public HTML pages.

> Have you tried contacting the list owner?
I have done this without success for too long, but thanks for the bluntness.

> Or are you trying to drum up
> support in this forum, so that others will email the list owner in
> addition to yourself
Yes.

-- Rachel
http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/Computer/Cube/Cube.html