[CUBE] Sonnet CPU upgrade vs Powerlogix Upgrade-Comparison

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Apr 24 02:42:02 PDT 2003

There is also the option of purchasing a third party fan instead of
what each firm supplies. I have a variable speed Enermax that has a
manual dial to run it as slowly as 1K RPM and as fast as 3K RPM that I
plan on using. Since it's a fatter fan (still fits — you just have to
break off 4 corners on one side) it should provide plenty of air flow
at the low speed.

It's model UC-8FAB-B with two ball bearings. Appears to be extremely
quiet. But haven't done my upgrade yet.

Got sidetracked with a dual 867 MDD for MP3 ripping and expansion
reasons. Only $1319 refurbished at Small Dog. They ran out Monday. I
know, I know. Noise. But the silent fans upgrade kit is still available
for $20 until June 30th. So I really wanted the last MDD that still
boots 9 (just in case) before moving into the brave new world of OS X
forever more.

I guess I'll wait for a dual 970 upgrade next year. Or a cheap dual 1.5
GHz later this year? Whatever.