[CUBE] Powerlogix - Buyer Beware?

John Guy john.guy at btclick.com
Thu Apr 24 06:39:25 PDT 2003

On 24/4/03 2:20 pm, "mentholiptus" <mentholiptus at mac.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 06:04  AM, John Guy wrote:
>
>> 2] That powerlogix and Waypoint are getting into a shouting match as to
>> who's fault it is.
>

> What exactly is the problem again? I just want to know why it had to be
> returned in the first place...
>

> jesse

Jesse

When the card was originally installed the upgrade worked fine for about a
minute and then crashed (osx), I did manage to get the apple system profiler
to come up and confirm the chip speed but to NOT confirm the presence of the
chip cache, so I tried rebooting in OS9, no joy.

So tried booting a spare osx partition that is completely bare of add-on's
or other software.
No joy, so just to ensure that there were no s/w issues removed the card did
a sweep with Norton and then fixed the privilege's, just in case...

At this point discovered that the first and second (bare osx) partitions had
been corrupted; annoying yes but not a major problem, as I had another copy
of everything in the other spare partitions that I keep just for such
eventualities.

At which point realised that this was just not going to work, after 20 mins
on hold to Bill he said download the cache enabler, my system at this point
was so scrambled that I was unable to boot in anything, including from disk.
Later found that as result of dozens of kernel panics that the FAT had
become corrupt hence most if not all of the disk was inaccessible.
Luckily I had access to another Mac and rescued the files and data that was
critical.

The only positive note from this is that I invested in an external firewire
disk array (240gb) to use as a mirror backup system.  That however is
another story...

Hope that answers your question Jesse, probably more info that you really
wanted...

Regards

John Guy

Hence the RMA back to the States.