Re-review of MCE superdrive

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Thu Apr 24 11:50:46 PDT 2003

I had earlier expressed some disappointment in the results I obtained
burning DVDs on my cube using my new MCE internal slot-loading superdrive.

I have since had the opportunity to try again using the 4X media instead
of the 2X I used in my initial attempts.

The results this time were quite satisfactory with one caveat, which
is probably not the fault of the superdrive.  I was listening to iTunes
while burning one of my iDVD projects and the speakers went out.
I suspect this is the infamous USB problem some of you on this list
have experienced.  This is my first experience with this problem and
it was a bad one.  The iDVD burning session hung with only 6 minutes
left.  In fact, the entire workstation hung to the point where I had
to do a hard reset.  I could still ping it from other machines on my
LAN, but I could not ssh into it to kill off the hung processes.  A
complete reboot was my only remedy.  Turned that DVD into a coaster 8^(.

But subsequent attempts were successful and I was able to play the
resulting DVDs on both my iBook and a commercial DVD player.  I opted
for leaving the system alone while the burning was in progress.  No
iTunes this time.

Just wanted to give yaw'll an update....
--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator