need shopping advice for drive replacement

John H. Lincoln jhlincoln at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 11:36:00 PDT 2003

Well, my external, FireWire CD-R burner (Sony Spressa iLink, model
CRX-120 E/X) finally gave up and died on me. I live in Spain, and
getting it repaired here is not likely.

The drive never worked right under OS 9.x, and only survived in my
studio because it somehow recovered when I upgraded to OS X. Under OS
X, with Toast Titanium 5.1, it was a faithful servant -- but that's
history now, as it refuses to be recognized by either my Cube, or my
Titanium PowerBook.

Which brings me to my question… Neither Mac has an internal CD burner,
so this is an opportunity to replace the internal drive with a disk
burner -- but …

Which Mac should get the replacement drive?

Which type of drive do you favor: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD?

Which manufacturer do you recommend?

And who sells the drive?

Many thanks for sharing your suggestions.
John