[CUBE] Cataloging an external drive without copying to internal.

Alan Thompson athomp2 at mac.com
Sat Apr 26 10:40:08 PDT 2003

I do this - it's very easy.  In iTunes' preferences, set the Music
Library location to the external drive location.  In my case, it's
/lil' guy/mp3s (or Volumes/lil' guy/mp3s).

Then close iTunes.  Re-open it.  Now open your mp3 directory on the
external drive in the Finder, or if your mp3s are on the root of your
external drive, just drag the entire disk icon to the Library window of
iTunes.  Depending on the size of your collection, this will take a
while.  You'll see a progress bar after a minute or two, then it will
blaze through your collection "processing" them for inclusion into your
iTunes Library.  This will not move the files from your external drive,
but rather create a large set of aliases within iTunes pointing to the
actual files on your external drive.

Best,

--alan