[CUBE] iTunes 4

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Mon Apr 28 16:35:48 PDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Ray Boehmer wrote:

> Look, most albumns that people might actually WANT cost about $18. On
> Apple's service that cost is $10- a savings of $8. And if there is just one
> or two songs you like, the cost is $2- a savings of $16. Yes, you don't get
> the little booklet. Oh well.

Bzzzt!!! I buy CDs from half.com or from pawn shops all the time that
are less than $8. Granted, the pawn shop discs tend to be in horrible
condition (though will generally play & rip ok). Just bought a live, 17
track richard thompson CD at a used CD store for $5.99. Great stuff, worth
more than $0.99 per track, probably, but I probably wouldn't have bught it
if it was $16.50. Then again, I got a 6-track Zappa album for $5.99 too.
So the price is kinda right. (Of course, there were 2 9-minute tracks and
one 17 minute track...) Which reminds me, I have several CDs with very
short songs (sub 1 minute). Are those also 99 cents? Hmmm...

This pricing seems good for the mass-market stuff. Anything esoteric is
going to be a tough sell, IMHO. Assuming they even have the weird stuff I
want.

Allan