Overclock a Cube through open firmware?

Joakim Skog joakim.skog at home.se
Tue Apr 29 09:25:32 PDT 2003

According to the swedish Mac news site http://www.macnytt.com it should be
possible to change the bus frequency and the clock frequency on Macs with a
100 Mhz system bus by just enter some code into open firmeware. The hack
changes the system bus to 133 Mhz and the processor speed to something like
533 Mhz. They also note that you should check that your memory type is
compatible with the higher bus speed before trying the hack, otherwise it
sure will crash.

What do you think about this? Below is the instructions quickly translated.
Use at your own risk!

/Joakim

1. Restart the computer

2. Press option+alt+o+f when restarting to enter Open Firmware.

3. write nvedit and confirm with <return> to enter the configuration editor.

4. write exactly the follwoing, with spaces but without carrier returns:

" /" select-dev<return>
7efdc44 " clock-frequency" get-my-property 2drop ! <return>
" /cpus/PowerPC,G4 at 0" select-dev<return>
1fca0554 " clock-frequency" get-my-property 2drop ! <return>
7efdc44 " bus-frequency" get-my-property 2drop ! <return>
1fbf711 " timebase-frequency" get-my-property 2drop !

5. press ctrl+c to exit the configuration editor.

6. write nvstore and confirm with <return>

7. write setenv use-nvramrc? true and confirm with <return>

8. write reset-all and confirm with <return> to restart the computer.

If your computer is unstable after this hack, reset the pram
(option-alt-p-r).