[CUBE] iToungs 4

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 00:00:47 PDT 2003

An interesting side note here is that I suspect the problem lies less
in the legal ramifications of the music industry, but rather in the tax
implications of the various European nationalities.  When I signed on
(from France) I was able to get the service to work fine since I still
have a US address credit card from when I lived there.  The interesting
part is that they properly identified the _county_ I lived in and
charged me the appropriate sale tax as if I had made this purchase in a
store in that county.

This is a first that I've seen in online commerce with the ability to
tie into that many tax jurisdictions and work out the billing rates and
remittance details. Dealing with the Euro market gets even more
confusing since they have to decide whether to offer a separate store
in Euros (and we won't get into the whole price disparity that comes
from that or the remaining non-Euro currencies still out there) or just
let people buy in US $, tack on the VAT and work out conversion rates
- but tax accountants _hate_ that.  Given the current strength of the
Euro, I hope they go that route or at least recognize the strength of
the Euro for once and bill it out at 0.99€ VAT included instead of more
expensive.

Note also that this time even Canadians aren't getting a break even
though they're right next door.  I think that Steve is using this as a
model for the future in terms of handling e-commerce taxation which
explains the strictly US only first pass.  That's an insanely massive
project completely on top of the scope of the music store itself.  If
they have built a back end that automatically ties into all of the
various city and county sales taxes that can be auto-updated they have
a huge behind the scenes product to market - if they can pull that off
internationally as well, that's a huge coup.  But it's a lot of work.

Death and taxes folks - we'll never escape :-)