OT: external FireWire CD-R / DVD-R

John H. Lincoln jhlincoln at mac.com
Tue Aug 19 11:29:08 PDT 2003

To add "CD-R / DVD-R" capability to my Cube, I bought a Pioneer
DVR-105. Details here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/article/0,,2076_3450_47530,00.html

I put the mechanism into an external FireWire enclosure (left over from
a Sony Spressa iLink CD-R, which had failed), and connected it to my
Mac. But the Mac does not recognize the drive.

I have tried all three jumper settings (Master, Slave, and
Cable-Select), but none works. The Power light (on the enclosure) and
the Busy light (on the DVR-105) work fine, but CD-R software (Toast
5.2) does not "see" drive.

So I sent the following email to Pioneer Tech Support:
<QUESTIONS:
<1 - Is the Pioneer DVR-105 supposed to be Mac-compatible?

<2 - What is the correct jumper setting for this drive in an EXTERNAL
enclosure?

<3 - How can I get the Mac, or the Toast software, to recognize the
drive?

And Pioneer replied: "Pioneer does not build or SUPPORT an external
enclosure.
Please contact your external enclosure company for assistance."

No help there.

Does anyone on this list have an idea of how I can proceed, or where I
might ask, for answers to my three questions?

Thanks in advance.

John H. Lincoln
Digital Media Designer
Fornalutx, Mallorca, Spain