[CUBE] Disk failing? Please advize

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 28 06:32:48 PDT 2003

     Gnarlodious wrote:

>My disk read/write time seems to me getting longer and longer all the time.
>When I reboot in verbose mode I get a lot of "Waiting for local disks"
>messages.
>
>Am I on the right track here? Do I need a new HD? Is this a typical failure
>trend?
>Any way to troubleshoot this more accurately?

     Use Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility's "First Aid" tab to
"Verify" your disk. You can't use it to repair a boot drive, however.
If it finds problems with the file system, you probably ought to (1)
back up the stuff you need on the drive, and (2) buy DiskWarrior 3,
boot from its CD,  and rebuild the disk.

     Rebuilding with DiskWarrior is a good idea anyway, since the file
system files get larger and more poorly organized with time,
especially if you've performed multiple OS upgrades on the same drive.

     YMMV, and my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                          - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA