[CUBE] Throwing in the towel

Steve Houlton steve at gateway.unomaha.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:13:05 PST 2003

In my opinion there is no  TV solution for the Mac.
I haven't used the Formac; or seen the latest releases; but El Gato's
eyetv and Eskape Mytv are crap.  The software that comes with these
devices is marginal (either crashes and doesn't work or doesn't work
and crashes).  Never do a software update from these guys until
months or so after the release (heck, I still won't update mytv to
the current version; cause I have not heard one good word about the
update).  The picture quality is pathetic as are the recordings;
nothing I would want to share with friends; let alone strangers.

what really bothers me is back a ways Apple made one great Tv tuner
integrated in the Mac.

my next thought is to invest some time in how Tivo's work and what I
can do to make them work for me.

sadly I have wasted my money on devices that simply do not live up to
the advertisements.
I also have lost faith in magazines and reviewers who wrote how great
the eyetv is; gave it awards; making it to be this great product,
when in reality it is a marginally functional product.
It amazes me how a industry will back a product even though it is crap.

ok,  I'm stepping off my soap box now.

steve