[CUBE] ACC Files-iTunes Store (OT)

Erik Ableson eableson at mac.com
Thu Dec 11 11:37:22 PST 2003

It's a logistical and legal problem.  The US has the advantage of being
a relatively homogenous market, legislatively speaking.  The problems
you run into in Europe is that each country has it's own tax and
copyright laws which aren't all necessarily in accord.  Then there's
the logistics of ensuring that purchasers from one country pay the
appropriate taxes, and that Apple has a means to report on these sales
to each individual government and remit the taxes collected
appropriately.

That's just the gov't side, and then there's all of the issues about
dealing with the labels.

.mac works fine since it's just an online service, there's no direct
implications, other than the new push by the EU to collect taxes on all
internet transactions made by their citizens.

Most countries have their own Apple store, properly integrated with
pricing in local currency and following the local tax laws (ie french
prices are listed TTC which is all taxes included) while US ones are
usually taxed afterwards by state for sales taxes.  Delivery and stock
is held locally as part of their overall distribution network.

iTunes for Windows presented only technical problems - much easier to
resolve...

Cheers,

Erik