[CUBE]

Tom Hostler hostler at mac.com
Sat Feb 1 05:18:28 PST 2003

> But has anyone ever actually USED DVD Studio Pro?  I am assuming it is
> overkill for home projects and simple presentation projects, but if it
> is easy to use, that would be OK.  I know it's not as easy as iDVD, but
> how much harder?  Does it come with all the pre-made screens and themes?

I have used it to author discs using a SCSI-based DVD-R - on a tower
configuration.

As you say it's not as friendly as iDVD, but it's not that hard to work with
either (a vast improvement on previous DVD authoring environments such as
Sonics in my opinion). It doesn't come with pre-designed themes, but does
come with a tutorial I think.

The DVD spec is relatively simple, and hence the complexity isn't that high,
because you can't do that much on a DVD really! The most complex part would
be the basic scripting (IF, THEN ELSE type stuff) which more most
presentation DVD's you probably won't need. It can make chapter points,
slide shows and menu's pretty easily.

I'd say if you can drive Keynote, or even Powerpoint to a reasonable level
(layered effects and builds) you could work with DVD Studio. A working
knowledge of video would also be needed, as is a copy of Photoshop and some
design ability to create the graphic menu elements. If you want to make
surround sound soundtrack you'll need audio software as well (DVDSPro can
use multitrack sounds, but it can't make them for you). As an exercise in
learning more about the way DVD's are put together, it's a great tool - and
avoids getting overly complex as many other systems do.

Last point is that you need a fast machine and lots of disk space - as with
any full screen video software - when I used it, it was on a 450 graphite
G4, so a similarly specced cube should be acceptable - but not outstanding.

Tom