[CUBE] upgrade

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Sat Feb 1 16:56:11 PST 2003

Chris,

Welcome to the party. Most of this information is available on the FAQ
on either cubeowner.com or cube-zone.com.

The Cube takes standard PC100 ram, available at most online merchants.
PC133 will also work, and is usually around the same price. You won't
see any improvement in using the faster ram, as the bus speed on the
Cube is set at 100mHz. Your Cube has 3 ram slots, each can hold 512MB,
so the max is 1.5GB.

As far as hard drives go, you'll get recommendations for lots of
drives. Seagate Barracuda drives (IV and V, I think),  and some others
have fluid filled bearings, and are almost silent. I have a Western
Digital Caviar with an 8MB cache that I really like. It's almost silent
and really fast. You can add up to a 120GB drive. The drive controller
in he Cub won't see space on a single drive beyond 137GB, so there's no
point in getting a drive that's larger.

Hope that helped.

cheers,
-Hal