[CUBE] Ok, NOW I'm thinking of the 17"iMac...

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Tue Feb 4 23:49:18 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 02:32 AM, Thubten Kunga wrote:

> After we get a PowerLogix upgrade with 1 or 1.2 GHz and 2MB of L3
> cache, the Cube should stay fairly competitive. We're always going to
> be constrained by our old 100 MHz Bus. But a 1.2 GHz upgrade should
> beat out a 1 GHz iMac w/o our big cache. I

I'm not convinced the bus speed is yet a factor when there are so many
other variables to consider...

In fact, I just checked the xBench website and someone listed a new
1Ghz iMac with an overall score of 86.63 compared to a score of 92+ for
several
upgraded 1Ghz Cubes.  One of the new 'single cpu' 1Ghz Power Mac's
clocked in at 99.97, too.

My 'lowly'  Cube 500 musters up a score of 62.51 overall which
apparently
bests many imac/emacs running at 700/800Mhz.

John