[CUBE] graphics options?

Michael McPherson mcph at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 11:43:28 PST 2003

The main disadvantage of the stock 128 card found in most cubes is that
it does not allow for "quartz extreme" in OS X.  QE makes the desktop
(and system) considerably more snappy and responsive, as drawing tasks
are offloaded more from the cpu to the graphics card.

Are you running OS X?  or some other OS?  Are you happy with your
cube's performance?  if so,  then there probably is no need to upgrade.
  if not, you can consider the options.  my cube has an oem ATI Radeon
card (which was a build to order option for some cubes).  there is a
fan, but it is very quiet (compared to the wind tunnel fan I have on my
athlon which sits unused in the corner now).

other options for cube upgrades include the geforce 2mx and the
geforce3.

Recently,  people have figured out how to put in the mac edition radeon
8500 and 9000 pro, but these cards are a LITTLE too big to fit in the
cube as is...so you have to move some things around on the inside and
dremel a few mm off the backplate so the card will fit.