[CUBE] graphics options?

Arturo Pérez arturo at ethicist.net
Wed Feb 5 16:16:17 PST 2003

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 02:43  PM, Michael McPherson wrote:

> The main disadvantage of the stock 128 card found in most cubes is
> that it does not allow for "quartz extreme" in OS X.  QE makes the
> desktop (and system) considerably more snappy and responsive, as
> drawing tasks are offloaded more from the cpu to the graphics card.

While it is true that the 128 is incapable of "quartz extreme" it turns
out that for 10.2.3 the 128 can
still make things almost as fast.  I saw some benchmarks (can't
remember where) that showed the difference
in speed between a 128 and a GFMX2.  Before 10.2.3 the difference is
significant but with 10.2.3 the difference
is negligible.

So, IMO, if you're using 10.2.3 and don't play intense 3D games the 128
is fine.  You'd actually get more mileage
from a CPU upgrade, a RAM upgrade (kindof a must), or a disk upgrade.