[CUBE] Power Consumption

Gnarlodious gnarlodious at cybermesa.com
Thu Feb 6 10:57:35 PST 2003

Entity Richard Clark spoke thus:

> let me understand this better is it being said that the cube consumes
> less power when in standby than when it is off??
It would seem that the PulseWidthModulated power supply operates more
efficiently under the tiny load condition needed to sleep compared to the
no-load condition when off. So much so that the increased efficiency of the
conversion offsets the actual consumption of the final load.

Note the 2 watt fluctuation when not loaded but no fluctuation when
sleeping. This is typical of switched-mode power supplies.

Historically a big problem with this kind of power supply was the no-load
condition. One more reason to sleep your Cube rather than to shut it down.

Hope that makes sense . . .

-- Rachel
http://www.Spectrumology.com
AIM Gnarlodious