[CUBE] PL 1.2 Shipping!

Arturo Pérez arturo at ethicist.net
Thu Feb 6 19:10:42 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 09:26  PM, Michael McPherson wrote:
> 100% would be ideal, of course...but I doubt that a dual 800MHz would
> ever be able to match (or even come close to) a 1.6 GHz in terms of
> real world performance (everything else being equal).  So what would
> it match?  barely 1.0 GHz?  1.4 GHz?  enquiring minds want to know! :)

In a perfect developed multi-threaded app you can expect a multiplier
of something like 1.8x.  So an 800 would get you a 1.4GHz equivalent.

In reality, even under OSX, no one codes multi-threaded apps except a
few games and photoshop.  (Someone needs to keep a catalog of those).
In this case, the advantage of duals is that you can run 2 seriously
CPU hogging apps at once.

Anyone out there with a dual?  Under OSX, in the terminal, do something
like this (this is all one line, BTW):

sh -c 'i=0;while [ $i -lt 100 ] ; do i=`expr $i + 1`; echo $i; done' |
sh -c 'j=0; while read k ; do j=$j$k; done;'

This uses a process to generate 100 numbers and another reads the
numbers.  The above should go twice on fast on a dual.