[CUBE] Sound volume too low with new 20in LCD

Todd Masco cube-list-local at babayaga.org
Sat Feb 8 06:15:53 PST 2003

> Apple said that ADC monitors are fine for Cube speakes - they are built
> to provide the required power. If your speakers sound considerably more
> silent either they forgot about that with their new 20" monitor or
> something is wrong and you should contact Apple about it. In any case,
> let us know what happens, because I'm about to get one of these
> displays and I'm counting on that feature.

Actually, Apple listed the only displays where this was supported:

  - Apple Cinema Display (ADC)
  - Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC)
  - Apple Studio Display LCD (ADC)

("For this reason, you should only connect the speakers to one of the
USB ports on the Power Mac G4 Cube computer, or monitor listed above.
You should not connect them to the USB ports of any Apple keyboard,
other Apple computer, or third-party USB device.")

My bet would be that they didn't exactly forget about it, they simply
decided that they weren't going to engineer the extra power into new
products to support an end-of-lifed product.

Here's the kbase article: