[CUBE] DV Cam

Brooks Graham brooksgraham at mac.com
Thu Feb 13 07:03:01 PST 2003

My USD0.02:

Go with MiniDV.  Digital8 is getting old and the software you might
care about (iMovie, Final Cut Express|Pro, etc.) will probably have
direct support for the newer DV cameras.  I just had a project where we
filmed a local theater company (pro bono work can be fun) and we used
multiple Canon XL1s cameras but the director was running around with
his Sony Digital8 camcorder getting coverage of random other stuff.  To
use the material from the Sony, we had to run the tapes through his
camera's analog-out ports and into a DV VTR - at significant loss of
quality.  Final Cut Pro couldn't cope with that camera.  (hint: you
need a Firewire port on the camera if you want to capture directly to
FCP or iMovie)

I'll second the opinion that Canon DV cameras are great.  We have a few
of the "big guns": the XL1s, but I've used some of their palm-corders
as well and was generally pleased.

At the low-end, Sony gear can be a bit twitchy.  At the high-end, it's
all good (and expensive).

Hope that helps a bit.

-brooks

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 05:28 AM, Alex May wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I don't know if anyone can give me a quick bit of advice about a DV
> camera!
>
> I really need a cheap one, and it doesn't need a DV in (I'm in the UK
> so
> they are a bit more expensive as you may know!)
>
> Should I get a MiniDV one or A Digital8? I like the idea of a Digital8
> as
> the tapes are cheap, even though a 60mins tape will only run for
> 40mins.
>
> I also don't want the camera to be too big, thats why I'd like a
> MiniDV?!!
>
> Also, will it be supported by Final Cut Pro? Can anyone help?!
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Alex
>
> P.S. I apologise that this is not about a Cube, but it will be on it &
> everyone seems to be knowledgeable about such things!!
-
Brooks Graham
brooksgraham at mac.com
http://www.brooksgraham.com/