TV Recording

Rob In der Maur ridmaur at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 14 01:57:59 PST 2003

Hi Cube experts,

I need your advice on the following: I have a Formac Studio DV/TV
convertor which allows me to watch television on my Cube. I also should
be able to record TV through this device.
When I'm recording, things start quite ok, but eventually video and
sound are getting choppy. It seems like the Cube cannot cope with the
amount of data it has to capture.
I'm using Formac's native application for it as well as a freeware
application named Vidi. Both application just spit out the incoming TV
signal to digital video without doing any compression. It means that 5
minutes of TV approx. generate 1GB of data. It all goes to an external
LaCie Firewire harddisk of 120MB.
Now I just want get some feeling what is the root of all evil here:
- is it the external firewire disk (should I optimize it one way or
another or should I use the internal IDE drive for capturing); I also
have my whole music library on it
- is it OS X which simply cannot handle this
- is it my Cube which cannot handle the troughput on the Firewire port
- is it my processor (500Mhz) and will an upgrade help
- is it something else?

Any advice appreciated.

cheers
Rob