[CUBE] osx screen saver login screen

Anders Bogdan anders at theworks.org
Sun Feb 16 11:08:12 PST 2003

My OSX computers will eventually sleep when sitting at the login panel
but I'd prefer sometimes to have it go into screen saver instead. "Back
in the (good) old days", I used NeXTSTEP and to enable this sort of
thing you used the terminal window:
 > dwrite loginwindow MoveWhenIdle YES

which in the OSX world would be:
 > defaults write com.apple.loginwindow MoveWhenIdle YES
but... things have changed, the above does not work.

loginwindow is definitely aware of screen savers but I don't see how to
turn this on..
the program that runs as the loginwindow is located:
/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

 > strings loginwindow | grep -i saver
While this is a fairly naive way to check for the possibility, If you
do this you'll see that it looks like some kind of screen saver is
possible. Maybe its not ready for prime time yet.

Anders